The Roundhouse is a small octagonal building in Church Gate, Barrow-upon-Soar, constructed in 1827. It was originally used as a ‘lock-up’, recorded in the 1851 census as the ‘Parish Prison’. The constable of the time was Wm Bryan. It was later used to house the village fire-engine, and then used as a ‘hearse-house’ for the village bier. It has now been renovated and is used for exhibitions.
These 2 listed buildings were funded by monies from the will of Humphrey Babington, as homes for the elderly poor of the village. The men were to be a good character and were known as ‘Bedesmen’. The Old Mens Hospital was built in 1694 and is still in use as accommodation for 7 elderly men, under the supervision of the Charity Commissioners. The Old Womens’ Hospital, built in 1825 out of surplus funds in the charity for aged women, is now owned by Charnwood Council and has been turned into self-contained flats.
This impressive house was built approximately 700 years ago in Beveridge Street, Barrow, and is built of local lime-stone. It was once the vicarage of Barrow. It was also the birthplace of Bishop Beveridge, who was born in 1636c. The Bishop was a great scholar and some of his writings can be seen in the British Museum. He died in the cloisters of Westminster Abbey and is buried in St Pauls Cathedral.
This was built in Industry Square and was unveiled by Lt-Col R E Martin in 1921. It replaced the smaller War Shrine which had stood on the corner of Church Street. It was dedicated to over 70 men who were killed in action in WWI. These inscriptions have been added to following later conflicts. The Memorial was badly damaged by a gale in 1925, after which part of it re-erected.
Further to the setting up of 'Barrow-upon-Soar Poor Law Incorporation' in 1780, a site was purchased in Beveridge Street/Melton Road for the creation of an area workhouse. It was built between 1783-9 and was used to accommodate the local poor and homeless. In 1837 'Barrow Incorporation' was dissolved and a new 'Union of Parishes' was set up amalgamating over 30 local parishes. In 1840 the buildings and land were sold and the workhouse was transferred to a new, larger site in Mountsorrel.
The original three-arched bridge was of a stone and brick construction and was believed to be over 100 years old. It was built as part of the navigational route and crossed over the weir at Barrow, along the towpath, which eventually leads towards Mountsorrel. In 1971 the bridge collapsed, along with part of the weir, and the weir and banking was repaired. The bridge over the weir was later rebuilt in 1998 resulting in the reinstatement of access along the towpath.