003. Ledger Stone - Elizabeth Smalley d.1784
Location: Floor of South Transept
- Rectangular floor slab with lettering in Roman caps. Names are in italics The long s is used. There is a rose at each corner. Incised border.
- 18th century
- L 184cm W 61cm
- JC is written on bottom right hand corner
- See 006 (Ref a) (Ref b)
- Here are/deposited/the remains of Eliz.th Smalley relict of Mr/Ralph Smalley Gent./ She died Feb. 29th.1784/Aged near 80 years / e/ The Good, the Social Neighbours gone/ Friend to her Kindred and the Poor:/ But Few her Failings (Who has one?)/ Free Acts of Goodness greatly more./ Those with Devotions gone before,/ She followed to her place of reƒt;/ Her draining seed-time ƒpends no more/ Harvest o’er pays that Gainful Waƒte./ Her’s like old Anna’s Widowhood,/ An easy, long, and ious one:/ Be read for Imitation ƒho’d/ The Page of this Memorial ƒtone a 2 Cor. 1X. 6 b. Luke 11.36 JC
- (Ref a)Nichols History of the Antiquities of Leicestershire. Barrow upon Soar P75 (Ref b) Lynne Brookes. Holy Trinity Church Barrow upon Soar.