029. Choir Stalls - Frank Cresswell d.May 18th 1916
- Memorial carved into the wood of the choir stalls facing South.
- Wood. Oak
- 20th century
- w. 25cms h. 15cms
- Mr W.D Caroe ref (a)
- Mr. J.C. Hind ref (a)
- Frank was a member of the 9th battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment. He is buried in Hannescamp New Military Cemetery Hannescamp, Pas de Calais, France. Grave ref E.1. (.Ref b)
He was born in Winchmore Hill, Middlesex and baptised June 9th 1895 (so just 21 when he was killed). In the 1911 census he is recorded as living in Industry St. Barrow upon Soar with his parents Francis, a retired physician and surgeon and Emily Christiana (née Buttanshaw). (ref c)
- The choir stalls were part paid for by his mother in memory of her son.
- In proud memory of / 2nd Lt Frank Cresswell/who was killed in action/at Arras on May 18th 1916/these choir stalls the/gift of his mother were/ provided by his patrimony.
- (.Ref a) Lynne Brookes: Holy Trinity Church Barrow upon Soar, A Brief History and Guide 1999
(Ref b) Barrow upon Soar War memorial web site. Ed Ralph Bowles. This web site gives more information about Frank Cresswell along with a photograph of him and of his grave stone.
b) Ancestry .co.uk