012. Wall Tablet - Harold Oliver Pell
Location: South Aisle, Wall
- Situated on the wall, a rectangular, slate grey tablet with gold incised lettering. The lettering is all in u/c “Roman” font. There is an incised gold linear border around the lettering.
- H. 20.5cm x W. 42cm x D. 2.5cm
- Harold Oliver Pell was born in Thurmaston but was living in Barrow when he was 4 years old. He was still attending school at the age of 14 years. He worked as a clerk/signalman at a junction box on Sileby Road controlling the mineral line from the quarry at Mountsorrel and train’s from Ellis’s to the mainline. He married the daughter of the local builder, Mr Ball of Ball, Sons and Squires. He served on the Parish Council from March 1933 until March 1973, a total of 40 years; he was chairman for 23 of those years. He was also a Justice of the Peace and a Church Warden as well as a governor of local secondary schools, Humphrey Perkins and Thomas Rawlins Grammar School (Ref.a)
- Date of gift, possibly 1977
- TO THE GLORY OF GOD/AND IN MEMORY OF/HAROLD OLIVER PELL J.P./1896 – 1977/NEW LIGHTING WAS INSTALLED/IN THE NAVE OF THIS CHURCH
- (Ref.a) Lynne Brookes. Holy Trinity Church Barrow upon Soar